Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Snarky, vile, and deliciously fun...you don't know til you go, haven't been til you've gone and that's why I'm still in hot pursuit of the sun.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Day I Knew My Addiction Was Winning

As we all know....(much to their dismay) Portland and San Fran are the mecca for Hipsterism.

I was pondering why???? I mean it's not very obscure of them to all gather in one place where they don't stick out of the norm, and where *everyone* in said place has heard of and has the vinyl of that little underground band that sprouted up last week at the coffee shop poetry reading. I mean *gasp* someone else probably is even wearing that same 4 sizes too small ironic tee shirt
*AT THE EXACT SAME MOMENT YOU ARE*



Speaking of Hipsters and their hangouts... I went to Starbucks this weekend (I know, I know... what was I thinking???
Not clearly I assure you, as it *was* 8am on a Saturday and I had not had a single drop of caffeine to course through my bloodstream) So, in my fiendish state I was lulled by a short line and the promise of flavored coffees.

Now let me backtrack a few months so you are fully able to grasp the "What I ordered, What I got, and Where the hell it went wrong" concept of my experience. Around Christmas, the season of gift cards, I usually come into a few Starbucks bucks...some I regift (don't judge me, there are those amongst us who squeal with glee at the prospect of paying 5 bucks for a cup'o'joe {who the hell is Joe???} but I usually keep one for myself and go with the rest of the office crew on a blustery 70 degree Hawaiian afternoon like geese flocking to warm weather. This past holiday, I took my place in the V formation and made the trek across the street to one of the 3 Starbucks on the block.
I ordered a Venti...(what you think I am not going to use the full value of the gift card and have to make that trek more than once????? Fools!) "Chocolate Candy Cane". I was pleasantly surprised at it's fantasticalness. The nice older (damn recession, probably laid off and forced to work with the bean minions...she was clearly too educated and competent) told me I could in fact order my new found wonderful mouth orgy in a cup all year round. Whaaaaaa??? The hell you say, tell me more. I was instructed to simply order a White Chocolate Mocha with a shot of peppermint, and off I scampered damn near joyously into the wilds of the corporate jungle.


This brings me to Saturday...I walk into aforementioned coffee hell house, I march confidently up to the order taking member of the caffeine chain and place my order " I will have a venti iced ( Rolemodels flashes through my head..."stupid in 2 languages") white chocolate mocha with a shot of peppermint *and* an extra shot of espresso" <- what I ordered....That may be the first error in communication, I can't be sure at this point. I pay for my nectar, give my name for the order, and proceed to the pick up zone.

What I got -> "Anne" Rapture, it's ready...cue salivatory glands!
I see only one cup on the platform...it is a Venti, full of ice, 2/3 full of coffeeish looking liquid...I approach with caution. "um, excuse me (we all know the dangers of pissing off a barista) um is this for Anne"? " yea" "oh, ummmmm" I gingerly take a sip.....Retched vomit of demons!!!
This is terrible!!!! This is no where close to the tasty treat experienced during the holidays! I place the container of doom back on the platform and have a brief moment of eye contact (a dangerous maneuver I am aware, use this one sparingly) "um, mam this is not so good, I think it needs more coffee" (in my head " ya know to *fill* the cup and whatnot, as far as I know, no lack of sleep or energy drug has ever caused me to want a giant plastic partially recyclable cup and only half full of liquid
...it seems a bit unnecessary) Barista" you want me remake it" *while throwing it away before I can answer* Me "just more coffee would have been fine"

What I got Part Duex -> I stand back in the appropriate corner, head down as is the proper pose whilst waiting to receive ones order...*try to look bored self,, they'll know you don't fit in if you don't* " Anne" Ah ha! It's ready *again*... I proceed to coffee altar,fully prepared to be rewarded with my fix... again one lone venti cup, filled with ice, and 1/3 full of brown liquid. *eyebrow raises* "Really"???? By now if we don't get on the road, we will be late, so I hastily add some half and half, and run out the door...reminding myself and others why Starbuck is overrated and a waste of space.

I take a sip of the coffee/ bile extract... my nose begins to burn, eyes water, but my breath is completely freshened!
Holy Mentos Batman, it's pure mouthwash. It was then I noticed a complete separation between the ingredients in the cup. the half and half was floating on a layer of clear liquid, I will for the sake of my fragile mind assume to be the peppermint syrup, and below that a brown sludge like layer was forming with a sort of sediment swirling about. That can't be good...better shake it up and take another swallow....the lengths an addict will go to for a fix right??? *shake shake shake* *swallow* nope no different...*shake shake shake* maybe some of the ice will melt and help this whole process along...*shake shake shake* My pretty pretty princesses.....it's like licking Santa's ass!!! I can't go on....world growing fuzzy
....*shake shake shake* "no Santa, I don't want any of your artic salad...nooooooooo!!!

I still don't know what went wrong, and my stomach has hurt since...but I must say, I have remained minty fresh for the past 2 days....

No comments:

Post a Comment